Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Whatever Café

A few years ago, I attended a charity event at a gorgeous black and white colonial bungalow along Tanglin Road, and was told the person who lives there owns a yoga school cum café at Tanjong Pagar… which turned out to be this place. Read about it a few times since then but could never quite be bothered enough to make a trip to check it out…

… but decided to try out this place one non-partying Friday night. Parking was a bit of a pain, but I somehow managed to parallel-park in a lot right in front of the café itself. It was all a bit confusing as it didn’t look like a café from the outside - the front is actually a bookstore, but walk all the way in and up the stairs and you will reach the café area.

We started off with the Mushroom Potato Soup $7.90++. Sounds expensive? Look how big the portion is!


It was quite tasty but I really don’t see one person finishing this on their own.

We also ordered the Cheese Plate, Tamarillo Chutney & Pita Bread $7.50++.


Googled tamarillo and turns out it's a fruit very similar to a tomato... I particularly liked the cheese at the top right of the plate, and being quite ignorant of cheeses, decided to ask the waiter what kind of cheese it was. After checking with the kitchen, he came back and told me that the cheese was Boursin cheese – you know, the kind you can buy in a packet from Carrefour? *Embarrassed*

For the mains, we had the Roasted Vegetarian Lasagne $11.90++…


and Organic Penne with Arrabiata Sauce $11.90++.


The penne was relatively non-descript... The lasagne was tasty, small portion is good as it's quite filling. Pity they didn't have what I wanted to try - the Veggie Burger.

We didn’t manage to try any desserts as we were way too full after all that food, but I found out from M some time later that the desserts here were not that great anyway.

Nice quiet place to chill out and have some yummy healthy food... Oh! Did I forget to mention that this place is vegetarian? :)


Whatever Café
18 / 20 Keong Saik Road
S089127
Tel : 6224 0300
www.whatever.com.sg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't been in a long time but I DO think fondly of the place! Went with a few people once by chance but liked it so much that I went again. It's out of the way though and it's not THAT fantastic; still, I like it because it's something different.