Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Crystal Jade La Mian Xiao Long Bao

I'm totally a creature of habit so I always end up ordering the same things everytime I'm here - Xiao Long Bao, La Mian with Deep Fried Pork Ribs and Tang Yuan in Ginger Soup. But since I've started this blog, I've made a conscious effort to try new things so here are some new things I've tried on two recent trips to the branches in Holland Village and Great World City -

At the Holland Village branch, I saw something on the menu that sounded like Deep Fried Beancurd Skin with Prawn so I ordered it. But it turned out like this!


While I liked the fact that there were whole prawns, it doesn't taste as good as the normal one with minced-up prawn meat. And kinda annoying to have the prawn shell to contend with...

Another dim sum item that I saw on menu at the Great World City branch was Mushroom and Radish Pastry $3.20+++, which turned out to be this -


Not what I imagined it would be... the outer layer was tough and it was quite oily - didn't like it at all.

The Drunken Chicken here is quite good -


Very tender with a strong shaoxing wine taste... only thing that bothers me about this dish is that it's served cold. Doesn't taste bad or anything, I just prefer food that's hot.

I've recently noticed that vegetable dishes, despite it's simplicity, always taste really good when you have them at restaurants!


Why is it veggies never taste quite as good when you cook them at home?? It was just plain old kailan but it was cooked just right and so delicious!

Ok, so I'm trying to be more adventurous and try new stuff, but how can I come here and not have the Xiao Long Bao $3.60+++? :)


Still one of the best Xiao Long Baos in town, I reckon. I love the flavourful soup that bursts into your mouth when you take a bite of it, and the skin is the right thickness.

Whenever I'm in Hong Kong, I will go to this dodgy street stall in Mongkok that serves the yummiest beef brisket noodles (ngau lan meen). So while beef brisket noodles is not something new, I've never had it at Crystal Jade before :)


The Beef Brisket Noodles $7.00+++ are not bad - the beef is quite tender, but the soup could stand to be a tad tastier.

This is one of the restaurant's signature desserts, Egg White Puff with Banana and Red Bean Filling (not sure what the exact name is) -


It's really light and airy and the dusting of icing sugar on the top is a nice touch, and who would have thought to put red bean and banana together?? But I'm not terribly fond of banana OR red bean...

Which is why I always end up ordering my favourite dessert - Tang Yuan in Ginger Soup :)


Love the kick in the ginger soup and the tang yuan here is always boiled to perfection. Never ever have the tang yuan at Tong Shui Cafe - it's nearly always mushy and overcooked.


Crystal Jade La Mian Xiao Long Bao
1 Kim Seng Promenade
#03-30 Great World City
Tel : 6738 5595

241/241A Holland Avenue
Tel: 6463 0968

1 comment:

Alicia said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!

You're swinging back to the Dark Side, my dear. No more prawns please - what about The Amazing Veggie Race ...