Friday, June 22, 2007

Sun with Moon Japanese Dining & Café

I came here during tea time a while back, and was quite glad to come back here again for lunch recently coz it gave me the opportunity to blog about more than just the desserts here :)

For lunch, I tried the Beef Sukiyaki and Tomato Salad Set $$17.50+++ -


You're actually supposed to dip the lightly cooked beef into the beaten raw egg before eating it, but the thought of eating raw egg freaked me out and I decided to pour the egg into the hot pot instead. There turned out to be a bit of beef in that little hot pot and I ended up being quite stuffed. So odd that they can call it a tomato salad when it's really just a few slices of tomato sitting on a bed of lettuce...

We also had the Crab Roll $11.80+++ to share :


As you can already start to tell, this place is very big on presentation. Taste-wise, it was just average.

For dessert, M ordered the Tofu Cheesecake $5.00+++ which came in a cage!


And here it is uncaged -


Interesting way of presenting a cake... and to top it off, the tofu cheesecake was heavenly! Who knew cheesecake made with tofu would taste so good :)

I also had the Green Tea Tiramisu $5.50+++ -


It was not too bad - very light, with just a hint of the green tea taste.

About a month ago, I came here for tea with G. For the Tea Time Special, you can order any dessert and get a flavoured tea for just $2. I was just at the Isetan supermarket before and having seen Black Sesame Pudding there, I just had to order what sounded it would be the instant stuff I had seen early. The Kurogoma (Black Sesame) Pudding $8.80+++ turned out like this -


Not what I expected at all... it was more plain pudding with sesame pudding put together. I didn't like it much and left most of it behind.

And here's the pot of tea that came with it -


So pretty, I just had to take a picture of it too.

G ordered the Kyodango and Warabi Mochi $7.80+++ (Kyoto-style Dumpling and Yellow Bean Squares) -


The Kyodango (the ones on the stick) looked so pretty! It came with an unidentifiable sauce that tasted really bizarre - after some googling, I find out that it's made out of soya sauce, sugar and starch!... But on its' own (it's tasteless), or with the red bean paste served with it, the Kyodango was actually not bad - but then I like anything of the chewy consistency of tang yuan :) The Warabi Mochi tasted a bit like jelly sweets.

I think this place is a tad over-rated. While the presentation of the food was a feast for the eyes, the taste buds were not as tantalised. Love the very extensive menu, but that just means longer time for decision making for most people. Service was relatively attentive considering we were in a private dining area and where we could be easily forgotten. Good place to go when you are looking for great ambience though - the decor is a comfortable mix of modern and Zen accompanied with soft lighting.

That said, I didn't like it enough to plan a trip back here anytime soon... maybe just for the desserts?


Sun with Moon Japanese Dining & Café
501 Orchard Road
#03-15 Wheelock Place
Tel: 6733 6636

No comments: