Friday, June 15, 2007

Bombay Café Express

I've been wanting to try Bombay Café for the longest time but Tanjong Katong just seemed out of the way, and I know for a fact that parking there is quite a pain. So when I read that they had opened a branch at Suntec City, it jumped to the top of my list of places to try... so I made M meet me here for dinner one evening.

The decor is, to put it mildly, garish. The pink and the black theme was a wee bit too pink for M's liking... but I did like the fact that they have screens showing Bollywood movies.

Having read about Pani Puri on the Travelling Hungryboy's blog, it was something I definitely had to try. Well, except it's called Gol Gappa $6.00+++ here but it's really the same thing.


The little puffs were much smaller than I expected - about 2.5 inchs in diameter - and it was crispy, which was not what I imagined at all. We had no idea how to eat the damn thing so we asked the waitress :P With the end of the spoon, make a crack on the top of the shell, scoop in some of the chickpea mix and pour in some of the syrup and you're all ready to go. A bit of a mess to eat as I can't put the whole thing in my mouth... but it did have an interesting taste. I think I have to try it one more time to decide if I like it or not... so for now I reserve comment.

Another thing that I *had* to try was the Gobhi Manchurian $8.00+++ :


The lastest trend in Indian food is Chinese-style Indian Food and one of the more common dishes is Gobi Manchurian - it's really deep-fried cauliflower. It's seriously seriously oily and very jelat (heavy). We could not finish it despite it being a relatively small serving.

Knowing M is quite a fan of Palak Paneer, I ordered the Palak Paneer Dosa $6.00+++ :


Not much palak paneer in the dosa (thosai) but I guess too much would make it mushy? :) Went great with all the dips though...

My favourite dish here was the Vegetable Briyani $7.00+++ :


It was really tasty and unlike all the other dishes, not too oily! M loved this dish too.

Ok, I know someone is sure to leave a comment that I should go to Little India for good Indian food but I'm not quite brave enough to venture there... so if anyone is willing to bring me there, please let me know :)


Bombay Café Express
3 Temasek Boulevard
#b1-020 Suntec City Mall
S038983
Tel : 6238 8239
www.bombaycafe.com.sg

No comments: