Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Zion Riverside Food Centre

Every once in a while, I just have to go to a hawker centre and have all my favourite local food :) I love going to this hawker centre as it's near town and has pretty good food... I'm still avoiding Newton Circus with a vengence and with the on-going IMF meetings, I'm trying to avoid the Suntec area so Gluttons Bay was not an option...

There is a really famous Char Kway Teow stall at this hawker centre and it's really easy to spot coz it's the one with a queue. Tried it, didn't like it and don't see what all the fuss is about. The last time I was here, I really wanted to have Char Kway Teow so ended up ordering from another stall... and it was really good!


This $3 plate of Char Kway Teow is from Stall No. 20 Riverside Good Food Chay Kway Teow. It's got what the Cantonese call "wok hei" - the smoky taste that comes from cooking from a wok... It's not too dry and has lots of cockles and beansprouts. And unlike the more famous stall here, you don't even need to queue for your food - just order and sit and wait to be served :)


Another of my favourites from this hawker centre is the White Carrot Cake from Stall No. 26 Lau Goh Teochew Chye Thow Kway $3. The guy here is partially deaf so you have to order by pointing at the picture of the type of carrot you want. The last few times I had it, I really liked it... but today it didn't taste very good. I think it was because it was a weekday evening, the carrot cake wasn't selling as fast as he thought it would, and the carrot cake had been sitting in the wok for a while before he fried it up for me. Well, everyone is entitled to an off-day right? But definitely worth trying though...

The Rojak stall here is also quite famous - Stall No. 21 Clementi Brothers Rojak $3. It was pretty good too but I would have liked more pineapples... or maybe I was just slow and other people ate it all up :)


And to balance off all the terribly unhealthy food, we ordered a bowl of Fish Soup from the stall across from the Carrot Cake stall. Fish Soup is one of my favourite healthy foods... well, actually it's only healthy if you don't drink up all the soup - lots of sodium in it!


Damn, now I have a craving for unhealthy hawker food ;)


Zion Riverside Food Centre
Zion Road / Zion Close
(Opposite Great World City)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i really have to stop looking at your blog when i am on a self-imposed low-carbs diet of sorts. didn't read what you wrote, was just toooooooooo focused on the peekture of the ckt...

auds

Anonymous said...

You are making me SO miss local food!!