Monday, April 16, 2007

Hong Kong Trip - Part III

Tai Cheong Bakery
This egg tart shop was made famous by the patronage of Chris Patten (the last British governor of HK) - apparently he loved the egg tarts here.

I finally made it here on the last day I was in HK and bought one to try. It cost just HK$3.80 (S$0.75)! Ok, I'll admit it - I was in such a rush to try it that I totally forgot to take a picture...

but take my word for it, it was delicious! The pastry was super flaky and the custard still warm and wobbly - it totally fell apart in the paper bag that it was in. Totally wished I had found this place earlier so that I could have had more!


Another place to add to my list of "must go the next time I'm back in HK" places...

Tai Cheong Bakery
35 Lyndhurst Terrace

Ajisen Ramen
Another one of my favourite places to eat at in HK is Ajisen Ramen as they have a different menu from Singapore. I love enoki mushrooms so one thing I must always have is the Enoki with Butter HK$20 (S$3.90) -


Mmmmm... yummy! I tried to do something similar at a BBQ recently and everyone complained that I put too much butter :P

As if I didn't get enough enoki from that dish, I also ordered Beef Enoki Rolls HK$20 (S$3.90) -


What can I say, I really really like enoki mushrooms :) The combination of beef with enoki is just brilliant. Not a very common dish in Singapore but it was available at practically every place I went to in HK...

Ajisen Ramen
Various branches - check website for more information
www.ajisen.com.hk

Tong Chiu
This place is very famous for its desserts... and while I have always known of the existence of this place, I was never quite into tong shui (sweet soup, i.e. desserts) till of late. So on this trip I decided to try this place out...

I wasn't particularly hungry when I got there, but just had to try a few dishes so ended up ordering Carrot Cake HK$13 (S$2.50) -


BBQ Pork Rice Noodle Roll HK$28 (S$5.40) -


and rounded off the meal with Almond Soup HK$15 (S$2.90) -


First time I've ever had Almond Soup (I normally have Sesame or Walnut) and was quite surprised by the strong almond taste... Everything I had was just ok, nothing particularly spectacular... but I realised that I should have tried the tofu pudding (tau huay), which is one of their signature desserts. And the next time, must remember to order their set meals - very worth it!

Definitely coming back again to try more of the desserts on their very extensive menu!

Tong Chiu (The Sweet Dynasty)
88 Canton Road
Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel : (852) 2199 7799, 2199 7788
www.sweetdynasty.com.hk

Still one more post on HK to come but it's the last one, I promise :)

No comments: