Thursday, March 08, 2007

Hong Kong Street Jen Poo Kee

It's Asian and it's soupy, so that can only mean one thing - I'm having dinner with S :) To satisfy our craving for something hot and soupy, S suggested this place which is just a stone's throw from my house...

And it turns out to be Hong Kong Street Jen Poo Kee - which is not quite the same as the original Hong Kong Street Chun Kee located just across the road from my office. My guess would be a brother, uncle or distant relative decided to open his own stall after having learnt the tricks of the trade from the original chef... many similar stories like that all around the island.

Of course we have to order the Sliced Fish Bee Hoon $10 -


The soup was the milky type, tasty but not overly so, with lots of huge pieces of fresh fish. Just what we were craving!

I nearly always order Hot Plate Tofu $8 when I'm having tze char. My favourite part of this dish is the thin layer of egg that lies between the hot plate and all the other ingredients. With me around, it's a given that there will not be any egg left on the hot plate :)


The one here is not bad. Besides the requisite tofu and veggies, it's also got lots of seafood in it. And yes, I did eat most of the egg...

And with S it's always a balanced meal, so here's the veg we had...


Ok, I'll admit it. It was so long ago that I don't remember what veg it was... and I'm not much use in the kitchen too so I can't identify it to save my life! :)

The food was not too bad - a good option when I'm craving tze char and too lazy to travel very far...


Hong Kong Street Jen Poo Kee
Blk 721 Clementi West Street 2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's choy sum!

Anonymous said...

eh? why you eating HK food when we are already going to HK?

auds