Friday, December 22, 2006

Food Republic (VivoCity)

This is the second in a series of posts of eating places in VivoCity. I went through a phase of coming here really often... but that was before the festive season set in. I love this place! It's got everything in one place (the perfect place to spend a rainy afternoon :) and it's in the West (yay!). The trick in coming here is to come during non-peak hours - like on a Wednesday evening - but of course that only applies during non-festive season :)

I love the Food Republic at Wisma Atria so I was quite excited to check out the latest Food Republic outlet at VivoCity. I read in a newspaper article that one of the most famous bak chor mee stalls had a stall here and I was looking forward to trying it out - but of course with my arse-luck, the stall was closed that day... I was there again recently and it looked like the famous bak chor mee stall has been replaced by an unknown bak chor mee seller... Crap!

No bak chor mee so I ended up trying the famous Depot Road Claypot Laksa $6.50 instead. I've had it once years ago at the original Depot Road stall with C, who used to call it the stomachache-inducing laksa...


Not as spicy as I would have liked it, it was great how there was so much liao (ingredients) in it :) I thought it was a bit expensive though...

We also had Wu Xiang (Ngoh Hiang) - and I haven't had this in ages!


Forgot how much I like the prawn cracker thingy... and the deep fried tofu here is amazing - crispy on the outside and soft on the inside...

Lots of other stalls worth trying here including the Pu Tien Restaurant located inside Food Republic... but I'm not going anywhere near VivoCity till the whole festive season is over!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I thought the Depot Rd claypot laksa is not at alexandra village hawker centre??? Its called Zhen Mei right?? And I heard (was it from u Esther?) that the original owner sold it off and then later went back to the spot and started giving out namecards for a new stall she was opning elsewhere... So is this Vivocity one the real McCoy??