Sunday, November 15, 2009

Cafe L'Espresso (Goodwood Hotel)

Was looking for somewhere to bring my mum for high tea for her birthday and decided on this place after having read quite a few good reviews on hungrygowhere.com. Was not disappointed at all.

I made reservations and we were given a table right next to the buffet spread - perfect coz it meant we didn't need to walk so far to get food :D Our orders for drinks were taken pretty quickly (tea of course!) then it was off to see what was on offer...

The spread was not very extensive but everything looked gorgeous! Plenty of little sandwiches, tortilla wraps and croissants. My first plate looked like this -


My favourite was the Salmon Mille Feuille with Caviar - I had quite a few of this. Just take a minute to think about the effort that went into preparing this, the layer after layer of smoked salmon in between layers of (possibly) cream cheese... and then topped with a delicate amount of caviar. It was exquisitely light that it felt like you were eating nothing. The foie gras one was quite good too...

For the second round, I tried more sandwiches and also a few of the deep fried munchies that was available -


Nothing on this plate stood out, but that is not to say that nothing was good :) Had a plate of repeats, hence the lack of a picture... and then it was on to dessert!


The spread of the desserts were inviting, but the tiny sandwiches filled up more space in my stomach then I expected so I only managed to try a few things. The Mango Pomelo Sago in the shot glass wasn't that great, but other than that, everything was yums.

Of course I had to try the scones and chocolate fountain too :)


The scones were good!

The place was packed despite it being a weekday afternoon, so reservations are definitely a must. Service was not particularly attentive, but I reckon my experience was more the exception than the norm here. I feel it's very good value despite the small spread, as the quality of the food is high and worth the price of S$33++ per person.


Cafe L'Espresso
22 Scotts Road
GF Goodwood Park Hotel
Tel : 6730 1743

1 comment:

Joe Yap said...

Happy Birthday Auntie Esther's-Mom!

A whole meal of finger food!

Did they change the rest/cafe? I remember one of Shirley's friends inviting us to a meal at Goodwood post-ROM (I think). Didn't make an impression on me, but then again, that was ages ago.